Random Post: A Programmer’s Desktop

Just for the heck of it, I decided that I would post a screenshot of my desktop right before I start programming (ie. before too many windows get opened and clutter my workspace). Those of you that are sharp might notice that it looks a little…wide. That’s because I have three monitors on my desktop — two 19″ and one 22″ LCD monitors. That gives me a total resolution of 4560×1050: far bigger than a single monitor could reasonably give me.

My Desktop

Extra brownie points go to those who can answer the following questions about the screenshot:

• How many cores does my desktop have?
  • What music player am I using?
  • What scripting language server is running in the command line?
  • What is the symbol on my desktop, what is it’s significance, and who came up with the idea to use this symbol for this purpose?

Anyways, I have some new photos that will be going up tomorrow, as well as some of my experiences with using an off-camera flash. Stay tuned for that!

Tagged with:
Posted in Development
7 comments on “Random Post: A Programmer’s Desktop
  1. Aaron says:

Cores: 8 cores
    Music player: Winamp
    Scripting language server: Looks like a MySQL server running in the terminal window
    Background symbol: It’s the glider pattern from the Game of Life, its significance is that it is the most recognizable pattern from the Game of Life and is now essentially the symbol for the hacker community, couldn’t tell you who came up with the idea to use the glider though as the symbol of the hacker community.

• DJ Bri T says:

Only thing you got wrong was the server. It’s actually a Rails dev server. There just happens to be MySQL queries in the log output.

2. Ron says:

Symbol for the hacker community my ass! :P

Anyway, you have enough going that I’d go crazy. You’ve seen my desktop — it’s basically a blank space, except for a clock/cpu monitor on the edge. :)

• DJ Bri T says:

Well, you can blame ESR for the glider’s induction into its position.

To be fair, my desktop’s gotten a little out of control recently. One of my browsers defaults to saving on the desktop, and I’ve been too lazy to change it yet. It needs to be cleaned up. My laptop desktop is pretty minimalist since I reinstalled.

3. Jon says:

Rename title to ONE programmers desktop. Mine is always remarkably tidy :P. Nice though, the colours are nice and sleek.

That a three monitor setup, or some app to emulate different workspaces?

And… Safari? Please tell me that’s for testing. Please. ;)

4. Satal Keto says:

Brian, have you started looking at ASP.Net or something? I noticed you have a folder on your desktop called AppData which is one of the standard website folders for ASP.Net.

BTW nice set up :D

*wonders whether Brian has a static IP address*
    *port scans 142.161.84.7* :P

• DJ Bri T says:

No, I haven’t started looking at ASP.net. AppData is one of the user’s system folders in Windows 7 (a la “Application Data” in previous versions). Leftovers from the last reinstall that I’ve been held on to in case I need something from it.

And a simple NS lookup will tell you whether I have a dynamic IP or not (you’ll see why when you see the host name).